Need to move in a hurry? Figuring out how to pack your belongings and get moved quickly is a challenge for most. You can use these six techniques to getting packed in a short amount of time.
#1 Purge as you pack
As you are packing, you need to purge at the same time. For example, you may be packing your kids’ extra toys. Take a moment to set aside toys they have outgrown, that are broken, or just don’t want anymore. Donate, trash, or give away these items.
This doesn’t mean spending a huge amount of time contemplating every item in your house. It means getting rid of the items that are just not worth moving.
#2 Create an essentials box
If you are moving locally, you are going to need a bag of items to get you through a few days as you unpack and get settled. If you are moving long distance, you will need a few more essentials to survive until the moving truck arrives.
Essential items are going to vary, but here’s a list to get you started:
- Personal items like your wallet, purse, and keys
- Important documents
- Personal electronics like cell phones, tablets, and laptops. (Don’t forget the chargers!)
- Pen and paper
- A change of clothing
- Kid essentials like favorite toys
- Pet essentials like food, leashes, and the litter box
- Basic toiletries such as toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, etc.
- Toilet paper
- Feminine hygiene products if needed
- Small tool kit
- Snacks and drinks
#3 Put things in a box
You don’t have time to get fussy about what items go in which box. Start putting items in a box and keep going. Just use common sense when packing. Wrap fragile items in bubble wrap. Put heavy items in the bottom of boxes, lighter items on top. Pack books in small boxes. Use bigger boxes for lighter items.
#4 Use what you have
You can save some time and money by using things you have around the house to pack.
- Use towels, linens, and clothing to wrap fragile items
- Use empty luggage to pack your clothing
- Use trash bags to cover hanging clothing
- Use trash bags to pack bed linens and other soft items
- Use freezer bags to pack small items
#5 Label everything
It may be tempting to just pack a box, close it and move on to the next. However, taking time to label will save you a lot of hassle during and after the move.
As soon as you close and tape a box, slap a label on it. Note its contents and which room it needs to go in.
#6 Clean as you go
Take time to clean up your packing area every hour or so. Make sure the boxes that are already packed are stacked in an out-of-the-way location. Clean up any stray trash. If you’ve set aside items for your essentials box, make sure they are well away from your packing area.
These techniques will help you pack your home in a matter of days. That way, you can get out and get to your new destination in as little time as possible.